We can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Dear Friends, Thank you so much to everyone who has continued to support us over the past year. Who would have thought that, when we went...
Prep Time - 45 mins
6 inch cakes - 2 hours
9 inch cake - 4 hours
These Quantities Make:
One 9 inch cake
Two 6 inch cakes
250g Brown Sugar
50g Nuts (optional )
1 Tablespoon Black Treacle
4 Medium Eggs
200g Plain Flour
1 ½ Teaspoons Mixed Spice
1kg Dried Fruit
50g Plain Flour
Zest Of 1 Orange
1. Cream the butter and sugar together using the back of a wooden spoon.
2. Add the nuts and treacle. Stir well.
3. In a small bowl beat one egg.
Pour this into the mix and add ¼ of the flour ( you don’t need to be too accurate ). Mix well.
Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs.
4. Stir in the mixed fruit and mix until it is all coated in cake mixture.
5. Spoon into a lined cake tin. Make a well in the centre of the cake mixture using the back of a spoon.
6. Bake in a pre heated oven (140° C) for 2 hours ( 6 inch tin ) or 4 hours ( 9 inch tin ).
Keep an eye on the cake mix but don't open the oven door too soon. I normally wait until I can smell Christmas coming from the oven !
The cake is baked when you can put in a skewer and it comes out clean.